« Home | I feel like i accomplished so much today..i have b... » | Happy New Year!! Hope you all had great festiviti... » | i was realy laughing in this pic...i look chinese :)  » | » | our engagement pic :) i'll post more of my favs t... » | i'm so struggling to stay awake..i'm 1/2 hour into... » | the thanksgiving turkey..tony's sis, stacy...and h... » | our thanksgiving table...  » | my nephews brian and erik...  » | my nephew sam...and usher for our wedding...  »

Juror #9 is finished with her civic duties...

i have been on a jury trial since last monday, and finally today it is over...

what a cool, weird, annoying, exciting, boring process it was...

i won't go into all the details...but now that i can finally talk about it i can't wait to tell people about it.
basically is was a "wrongfull death" case, a woman was suing a hospital & the doctor for the wrongfull death of her husband (he was only 27 at the time, went in for appedix surgery, died 3 days later of a mass of blood clots in his heart) basically she was suing the hospital for being "neglegant"....

she won....we the jury found the hospital (not the doctor though) neglegant and found that they acted 'below the standard of care' for the this patient and his death could have been avoided.

couple thoughts/highlights of the week:
-i single-handedly persuaded the jury on an issue (there are like 8 diff "special verdict" questions we have to answer, and i felt really strongly about on of them so i literally convinced the jury and they all changed their minds (scott compared me to john cusack in "runaway jury"...and supposedly he happened to me juror #9 as well...hmmm)

-i heard so much medial jargon and testimony, that if i were to go to medical school i would be years ahaed of the game...

-some of my fav phrases or words were..."differential diagnosis" "compensitory mechanism" and my fav: "deep vein thrombosis"

-i did shed a small tear or 2 throughout the trial, but i will say i did not let "smypathy come into factor for my verdict"

-it was so moving today to sit in the court room as the judge read the verdict and see the "plantiff/widow" cry her eyes out....as she kept looking at the jury and mouthing "thank you"...i coulnd't look at her anymore...i was tyring to be the professional juror and not cry

-finally, i realized no amount of money will ever replace this woman's husband, and i would never wish such a horrible thing to happen to anyone....her and her husband were my age...i cant even imagine!!

wow, what a crazy 2 weeks...now back to my "normal" life....

what is thrombosis ? I mean besides being a cool word.

That is crazy! It does sound like the movie. I don't think I've ever known anyone to actually get picked for a jury. I had to go once for 2 days, but I they filled all the spots before they interviewed me. I'm glad you're back!!

Post a Comment